Sunday, January 11, 2015

The BlogPost's Guide to the Galaxy

The remake was a rubbish movie.

The Imitation Game, however, was fantastic.
This was an excellent movie.
Well-shot scenes, well-acted by Cumberbatch and other actors I haven’t heard of (and Keira, whom I can’t take seriously cos she’s Elizabeth Swann), and excellent cinematography. 
The movie moved at the right pace, had appropriate tension, was well-structured, and as far as I can tell, was fairly historically accurate. 
The story was sad, but that was expected, because Turing had a sad story. It is incredibly sad what Britain did to him, and thankfully we have improved since then, but society still has a long way to go. 
I guess it meant it a bit more for me (and those I went with - Karl, Ford, Beth, Madz, Peacock, Liz, Wiz, and Sam) because we are CS students and know Turing and his immense influence upon our field (or perhaps even his creation of our field? Or is that too far?)
Watch it. Learn Turing’s life. Learn his sad story, learn his influence (Ensure you have the history correct).


Sportsball
Apparently there was some sort of sports game on saturday. 
Several men ran around with a ball. 
Then some other men got the ball. This merited a round of applause and cheering. 
Then they ran around with it. 
Someone may have even thrown or kicked it at one stage.

People got excited at this. 
I didn’t.

All I can say about watching sport is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFOImv3aTyo (John Clarke) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjC38Z4T6zc (The IT Crowd)

I lived in Maroubra whilst the Bunnies were in the Grand Final, and my goodness, the support and colours around the suburb were ridiculous, far too much. 

Too much for Australia. 
Not for America.

Maroubra, sorry, but you got nothing, nothing, on the Americans. 
The Vancouver Seaha … Sorry, Seattle Seahawks (same region, easily confused) aren’t even in the grand final yet, and I don’t think people in Vancou … Seattle (seriously, they’re really similar, it’s a regional thing) know of any other colours than green and a bluey-green. 
Get over it, Seattle, it’s a sportsball team.



More Skiing
Yes, again. You may well be getting bored of it right now, so I’m not going to post any more pictures. 
However …. 
So I skied my way up to a blue run, which was pretty cool cos it’s my third time skiing. 
Then ...
I attempted snowboarding. 

I was told at the start of my internship that snowboarding is really hard to pick up, but fun. 
Then there’s the example of Wiz (I’ll leave the story for another post, Wiz-permitting)

Omair told me the theory of snowboarding, Chris gave me some pointers (0x3baf48d2) after I had already gone down the slope. Thanks Chris. I’m never going skydiving with you. 
And then I picked it up in about 15 minutes.
Ok, that’s fairly oh-look-at-me-I’m-so-awesome
But still. 
I’m pretty proud of that.

And snowboarding is a new way of life. It’s fantastic
So much easier to walk in the shoes, so much easier to turn, and so much easier to stop. Snowboarding is wonderful.

People got my nationality right!!!
Many Americans (and Australians) thought initially that I was from Middle Earth New Zealand. 
I still don’t get why this happens - whilst I do look like a Dúnedain Ranger, the Kiwi interns (shout out to Harley, Shay, Matt, Jenna, Chris, Frank, Anna) say that I have a distinct Australian accent.
But then I was on the ski lift with randoms, and they asked after my nationality. I said, “Guess."
And they said …. “Australian, right?"
YES!!!
Why?
Cos I actually pronounce words correctly, right? (I don’t)
Cos I sound AUSSIE, like Crocodile Dundee, like Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, and every other Aussie out there. 

And I don’t sound Kiwi. 

Honestly, it’s as bad as saying that Australia and New Zealand are “the same region”.

Though someone at the trampoline place thought I was British. This actually makes more sense, because I do occasionally lapse into a British accent accidentally (my family can testify, but do not believe the ‘accidental’ part).

This in no way links in to the next story, which involves planes. 

Snakes on a Train
So we’re driving down the highway, going to our homes.
We stopped in a byway, where they were playing rock’n’roll.
Alright, not really. 
We were on a highway, and there was a train line running alongside it, and we were racing it driving at the speed limit. 
And then I looked at the train, and noticed it was carrying enormous bombs. 

Then I looked closer and saw they were not bombs, but aeroplanes (without wings).
On each carriage of the train was an aeroplane. 
Planes on a train. 
(Let’s make this movie)

Our venerable DJ, Jenna, got some photos of this (feat. Harley’s ear and nose)



Snoqualmie Falls Trail
This was recommended by Fractal Panda, and I think it’s the first Fractal Panda recommendation I’ve actually looked into and gone to (Fractal Panda, don’t take that as a comment on what you post).
It was beautiful:



Classic big waterfall into fast-flowing green mountain river, complete with paddle-boarders.



The maze of Redmond Hill
Redmond Hill apartment complex is a maze. It is ridiculous. Harley, the driver of the wonderful Candy Van (sequel to the All-American Hero, sequel to the Viper), drove around for what felt like half an hour whilst Shay was actually navigating with Maps within the complex. That’s how complex it was. 
I feel like when your apartment complex hits that stage, you need to just become a subdivision …. or a suburb, as we say in NORMAL COUNTRIES.

The Candy Van




So there’s skiing, there’s hiking, there’s sport, there would be Microsoft progress updates, but everything I do is closely watched by the Secret Service, so I shouldn’t say anything not Microsoft-approved. 
To cover up for this severe lack of Microsoft-approved material, here is an approximate timeline, from ~Jan 2012 til about now, of my skin-covered skull and the hair that covered it in various places, and the colours of that hair. 









































No comments:

Post a Comment